The Teatro Goldoni earlier known to be as the Teatro Vendramin di San Salvatore is one of the prominent theaters and opera houses in Venice. Presently is known as the Teatro Stabile del Veneto. This modern theater is located close to the Rialto Bridge at the historic center of Venice. In the Venice, the most of the theater were owned by the noted patrician families that due to better business est prospects invested into the theater during the 17th century. Europe’s first dedicated public and commercial opera house was the Teatro Tron from 1637. It is a traditional 18th Century Italian theater has about the four tiers of boxes and galleries, with about total capacity of 800 seats. The stage is 12 meters wide and 11 meters deep with an iron lattice.
The Vendramin was one such family that had ownership of the important Teatro di San Luca or Teatro Vendramin or Teatro San Salvatore, which was founded in 1622 in the San Salvatore, or in Venetian dialect San Salvador district, that later on was renamed as the Teatro Apollo, and since 1875 is being termed as the Teatro Goldoni, that at present is the main theater of the city for plays and dramas. The Teatro San Luca was reconstructed in the 1720s and was further renamed as the Teatro Apollo. This building is still exited there. In the age of Carlo Goldoni, the greatest Venetian dramatist, it was the San Luca and the Malibran that even organized the spoken drama, and his desertion of the Grimani for the Vendramins at San Luca in 1752 was the best activity into the theatrical and historical activity of the period.
He played a noticeable role in the development of the opera buffa. The Vendramins, had the reasonable direct control into the management of the theater and sometimes also went into the troubled relationship with him, with an argument over the money and the style that he included with its plays. He left for the Paris in 1761. The theatre had gone many changes during the period either due to multiple changes or due to renovation as occurred as of fire or structural problems. In 1826 the theatre was the first in Italy to install gas lighting.
In 1875 while at the celebrations of the birth of the playwright the theatre was renamed the Teatro Goldoni at the initiation of Angelo Moro Lin with the backing Regina De Marchi widow of the Vendramin family. The theatre was under the possessions of the Vendramin until 1957. The archives of the Teatro Vendramin, now is kept in the museum that was the Goldoni’s house, are many a number of times is used by historians. The theatre was closed after the Second World War due to safety reasons and disowned in 1957. It reopened in 1979 and its first performance was La Locandiera by Goldoni.